Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Norouz journey's first day

March 20th, 2014 at 11:56 will be Norouz (new day), the first day of Persian ancient new year.
I have done some activities with my daughter at home especially inspired by Waldorf education (since September 2013). I think Waldorf not only helped me a lot to understand my three years old daughter much better than before, it also helped me to remember a part of me which has been died for a long time. I will write more about Waldorf in my next blogs. Waldorf is a very nature centered education and has emphasize on rhythm (not routine), which I think Norouz is all about. I feel really blessed that Iranians could save this beautiful and ancient tradition for so long, but I don't see any wrong to add some creativities into it.
Anyways, Kayla and I are planning for Norouz. We try to listen to our hearts and have a rhythm in our activities about Norouz. In one word, we want to be creative but simple in this process. I am not really going to drag her to Norouz, but I'd like to wake up some enthusiasm about it in her. She and her dad are American and she can loose the track of her Persian culture very easily. After all, we celebrate other New Years together as well, like Chinese new year.
We were excited to start our Norouz activities with making a sun. Sun has been very symbolic in Persian culture. Sun has been called Khorshid khanoom means Mrs Sun.
So as you see the left sun is by Kayla and the right one is by mommy. I just glued a paper plate upside down on a circle cardboard, then put colors next to them. We made our suns at the same time because I really didn't want to influence her by my ideas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment